Intense Pulsed Light, also known as IPL, Rejuvenates and Illuminates the Skin.
elōs Plus Laser combines Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) with Radio Frequency (RF) to create more specific heating of targets in the skin. This allows the use of less optical energy, which increases treatment safety in darker skin types. These colored targets on your skin, generally come from various forms of hyper-pigmentation. This can be in the form of sun spots, freckles, birth marks, blood vessels, redness, or melasma.
Photo-aging from sun exposure occurs due to the damaging effects of the ultraviolet light, more specifically, the UVA and UVB components of sunlight. The IPL Photofacial treatment uses higher wavelengths of light, mostly in the visible range, to rejuvenate the skin and counter the effects of photo-aging. IPL broadband light does not damage the surface of the skin.
IPL Photofacial is an ideal treatment for skin care concerns ranging from sun spots and hyper-pigmentation, to rosacea and broken capillaries. Having regular Photofacials is a great way to keep the skin glowing, fresh, and even-toned throughout the year. With adequate skin aftercare, the results can last for years!
Use IPL to Treat:
- Hyper-pigmentation of the skin: sun spots, freckles, birth marks
- Redness in the skin: capillaries, blood vessels, angiomas
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Pore size and uneven skin texture
Prior to your IPL treatment:
- Refrain from any sun exposure 2 weeks before to your IPL treatment.
- Refrain from using Retinol/Retin A for 3-5 days before your treatment.
- No makeup can be worn during the treatment.
What to expect during treatment:
- Your provider will take the time to consult with you about your specific concerns and answer any questions you may have.
- The treatment time is approximately 30 minutes -1 hour, depending on the area treated.
- During treatment a stinging sensation can be felt much like a rubber band hitting the skin along with a mild to moderate heat sensation.
What to expect after your treatment:
- IPL treatment can cause moderate redness or mild swelling.
- Refrain from sun exposure and wear the recommended SPF after your treatment.
- Most patients will see a darkening or crusting called “peppering” 3-5 days after their treatment.
- Do not pick or scratch these spots! The spots need to fall off on their own and heal naturally.
- Makeup can be worn to cover any spots or redness that occurs.
- Normally patients need 3-5 treatments for optimal results.