Weight and Your Gut Microbiota
Tried Dieting and Exercising and Still Can’t Lose Weight? You’re Not Alone!
The factors that lead to weight gain and weight loss are far reaching and include:
- genetic predispostion
- phenotypical influences (like diet, lifestyle, and stress)
- blood sugar and insulin balance
- hormone regulation
- energy metabolism
Losing weight and keeping it off is much more complicated than calories in-calories out. Dr. Dietz of CDC’s division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity states that “the data simply doesn’t bear out the whole calories in/calories out concept.” Food influences more than just the amount of energy it provides. It has wide-ranging effects on numerous biochemical and physiological processes. The quality of calories you consume is more important than the number of calories.
Your gut micro-flora – the vast ecosystem that lives in your intestines – is the crucial factor in weight gain and illness and holds the key to permanent weight loss and vibrant health.
The Human Microbiome Project was designed to map out and analyze the role of the gut micro-flora. So far, they’ve isolated 1000 species across different phyla.
How to Successfully Lose Weight and Keep it Off:
The focus has to be on rebalancing your gut microbiome. Research shows that balancing and increasing the diversity of your microbiota will:
- Rebalance blood sugar & insulin levels
- Cool off chronic inflammation
- Reestablish optimal levels of appetite regulating hormones like Leptin and Ghrelin
- Reverse damage done to your body by a high-sugar diet
- Rev up your overall metabolism so you can keep the fat off long term
Feeding Your Microbiome:
Since your microbiome is responsible for keeping you healthy, you should think about food, about what you eat, as feeding your microbes. A diet rich in oxidized fats, sugar, and processed foods reduces the overall biodiversity and increases the number of “bad” microbes. Some of these will cause inflammation and some called “fat-forming bugs” encourage your body to absorb more of the fat you consume. It is this inflammation that leads to systemic health issues and weight gain.
Rebalancing Your Gut Microbiota is a Three Phase Program
- Reboot your inner ecology. 30 days to reestablish a healthy relationship with food. Leads to accelerated weight loss – 10-15 pounds. This starves the bad bugs, reduces systemic inflammation and rebalances blood sugar.
- All about rebalancing your gut flora and feeding your good bacteria. You can stay on Phase 2 for as long as necessary for the amount of weight you want to lose.
- All about keeping the friendly flora for life and keeping your weight off for long term.
Your first step is to call our office to schedule an appointment with our Nurse Practitioner. Our Nurse Practitioner may request labs to check different factors that could be pertinent to your weight loss before you start the diet. Insurance will usually cover the lab work.